Hailsham Chambers is pleased to announce that Martin Spencer QC has been elected as Chair of the Expert Witness Institute (“EWI”) in succession to The Right Honourable Sir Anthony Hooper.
The EWI, with almost 1,000 members, was launched in November 1996 to service and support experts. It acts as a voice for the expert witness community, supporting experts from all professional disciplines and lawyers who use the services of experts. The Institute functions to encourage, train and educate experts and to improve and maintain their standards and status. The EWI actively works with a wide range of professional bodies to achieve this. It has close connections with sister bodies in Europe and beyond.
The objective of the EWI is the support of the proper administration of justice and the early resolution of disputes through fair and unbiased expert evidence. To achieve this objective, the EWI acts as a voice for expert witnesses. The EWI
- Provides support to experts of all professional disciplines
- Encourages lawyers to make use of experts wherever specialised knowledge is required.
- Engages in the training of experts to maintain and enhance standards and their status.
- Works actively with other allied professional bodies and associations.
- Makes representations to Government and to professional bodies and associations.
- In becoming Chair of this prestigious organisation, Martin follows a succession of eminent predecessors including Sir Anthony Hooper, a former Lord Justice of Appeal, and James Badenoch QC.